Benefits Of Ecstatic Dancing | Health & Wellness
Dancing has such beneficial effects on the brain that it is now increasingly being used for therapy by many more professionals...
I've used various forms of free dance & movement for many of my clients for stress, anxiety, mental health, emotional healing, depression, trauma release, eating disorders, sexual healing & cellular healing as well as supporting clients to feel more confident in their bodies, build a healthier relationship & attitude towards themselves and understand how movement creates HEALTH.
It really doesn't matter if you're a professional dancer, runner, swimmer, cyclist, mum, dad, teen, small, tall, young, old - having permission to dance like no-one's watching, release pent up stress & tap into good feeling states is beneficial for us all.
I was first introduced to "Ecstatic Dancing" as a student at @The School Of Energy Healing (founded by a pupil at the famous Barbara Brennan Healing School) fifteen years ago when I was transitioning from my life as a Director for a large FTSE 100 to potentially becoming an Energy Healer/ Coach/ Therapist/Meditation/ Yoga Teacher.
I immediately fell in love with this natural way to release stress & heal mentally, emotionally & physically. My first dance I felt pretty awkward as this world was so new to me! - my day had consisted of targets, targets & targets for many years so my brain was NOT wired up to letting go, surrendering control & being free! So to say I was a little awkward at my first attempt is an understatement. I was a stiff cardboard box, a mind racing at 100MPH wondering if everyone was watching me. But guess what!! - I really wasn't THAT important to everyone (in a good way).
Yet, the beauty of this fun, spacious & loving atmosphere offers such a safe space for everyone to be as they are, where they are at any moment and the courage to let go & dance like no one's watching! As I started to get less & less conscious I noticed how an incredibly beautiful feeling of being in "flow" would shower through my body. I knew I was washing away blocks & stagnant energies/ chi that had been suppressing me, keeping me small & locked up in my cage.
The more I danced, the more I learned to love, heal & accept my body. I noticed I was feeling happier, safer to connect more intimately with others & allowing myself to be seen and heard in ways that would have previously held me back due to lack of self-belief/ confidence.
My trust & confidence with life grew every month, allowing me to step into opportunities that previously I would have believed impossible for my life. I could feel a longing to discover more of my potential, open to more of my creativity & face the fears that were blocking me from really going for what I wanted in life. I knew yoga was calling me & dancing helped me lean into the fear & leap from my corporate career and forge a new path for myself.
Benefits Of Ecstatic Dancing
- Builds more presence, mindfulness & present moment awareness,
- Exercises the physical, mental & emotional bodies releasing feel-good endorphins,
- Encourages a happier, stable, grounded & more embodied state of being,
- Increases the flow of oxygen to the brain & body through conscious breathing,
- Releases stuck chi, prana & life force resulting in more energy & vitality,
- Relaxed & safe environment encourages self-expression, surrender & healing,
- Music stimulates the brain’s reward centers, while dance activates its sensory and motor circuits,
- Enhances self-expression, creativity, connection, intimacy & self-love,
- Encourages a sense of belonging & being part of a like-minded community
- Benefits & relaxes the nervous system,
- Improves memory, focus, concentration & emotional connection,
- Improves circulation, brain fog, breathing, sleep/ insomnia,
- Healing, opening & expansive for the heart,
- Improves social anxiety, connection, intimacy & building trust in relationships,
- Can take you into a trance-like state, lowered brain wave states & feelings of ecstasy,
- Management of conditions such as dementia, downs syndrome, parkinsons, schizophrenia, eating disorders, addictions, compulsions,
- Decreases depression, anxiety, loneliness, isolation, fear & disconnection,
"And Those Who Were Dancing Were Seen To Be Insane By Those Who Could Not Hear The Music"